Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Caffeine Addict

Hi.  I'm an addict.  Caffeine is my drug of choice.

I mainlined Mountain Dew at a rate of two to four liters a day.  That gallon translates into almost 2000 calories of sugar, way too much yellow number 5, and about 500 mg of caffeine.  I was Single and Stupid and I pedaled every moment I could.

I didn't recognize it at the time, but I woke up every day feeling like this:


Dazed and confused, I stumbled through the first minutes of my day in a caffeine induced fog.  But then I started drinking again and everything was fine.  But not really.

I sometimes had horrific headaches.  Sensitivity to light, nausea, blinding pain, inability to think, need for sleep - all migraine symptoms.  It took me a few years to figure it out but my headaches are caffeine withdrawal.  Excedrin is my Methadone.

If I don't take my daily doses of caffeine - morning and afternoon - I can induce migraine symptoms within 12 hours after my last expected dose.  I can also make my poo burn 6 to 12 hours after spicing up a Big Box Meal at Taco Bell with Fire Sauce.  I've done both experiments a few times.  It's science.

If I'm off my drug for more than four days, I wake up all happy:


But I'm not willing to give it up.  So I stay on the caffeine.  It's no longer 4 liters a day and it's not Mt Dew, but it's consistent.  I still wake up like my confused BabyGirl but at least I don't get the headaches.

Learning is another addiction I have.  And bicycles.  And collecting shiny  slivers of metal.  But by the grace of God I have only one chemical addition.  I'm OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment