Monday, September 22, 2014

Freaky Fzx Friday - Wave Particle Duality? Light Ain't No Baseball!

Imagine that my aging arm can put out some HEAT



and you're waiting for a PAT bus at the corner of Fifth.  I'm in a bus traveling past you at 50 mph and I throw my amazing fastball toward the front of the bus.  What speed do you measure for the ball?


It has to be greater than 50 mph since the bus is already moving so you just add the speeds and get 150 mph forward.

Now I'm at the front of the bus, distracting the driver, and I see a misbehaving student in the back seat.  I take my fastball and send it in her direction.  What speed does she measure?  100 mph.  What speed do you measure as you record the whole thing with your iPhone to forward to the authorities and the media?


50 mph backward.

It turns out that the same principle works with sound waves in my enclosed bus.  You would just add or subtract the velocities, depending on the situation.

Later, in another bus, with different bus driver and a laser gun, we perform the same experiment and you're still waiting for the bus.

Proper Gangsta Grip for Accuracy

I always measure that light to travel at 186,000 mph.

The new bus is moving 100,000 mph.  What speed do I measure for the light beam?  186,000 mph.  What speed do you measure as I pass on the corner at 100,000 mph?


Nope. You measure 186,000 mph.  It is NOT the sum of the speeds this time.

Now let's do it again but in a different direction.  I still measure 186,000 mph.  What speed do you measure?  (And how many style points do I get?)


Crap.  Still 186,000 mph!  What's going on?  


Light does not act like the baseball and we cannot just add or subtract velocities.  Wave-Particle Duality is far more complicated than we thought.  Light can act as a wave while traveling or as a particle when smashing, but it's never really like a baseball or a sound wave.

And that was Freaky Fzx Friday.  Stay tuned for the conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment