Saturday, January 9, 2016

Pedal Vancouver BC Part 1 - The Plan

We were heading to British Columbia to visit my wife's big sister and family.   Little sister was visiting too so all three would be getting together and kibitzin' all night long.  I went along for the ride.  On a bicycle.  In Vancouver.

We flew into Seattle and drove north - money saved on the flight paid for most of the rental.  My bike was in a suitcase:


It's not oversize or overweight so it went on the plane with no problem.  I brought a soft bag for the train and the ride.

Here is the disassembly and reassembly:


Home base was Abbotsford (red pin lower right) but the goal was Vancouver (purple pin middle left).  It's an hour in a car.  Better on a motorcycle.


I wanted to find a bus or a train that got there quickly but my first searches showed a 3 hour travel time.  I later stumbled upon the West Coast Express Train:


The trip was only an hour and a quarter


and the route was along the water with a view of the mountains.


The train only runs Monday through Friday and not on holidays.  My goal was to return on the 3 pm train on their New Year's Eve modified schedule.


A 15 minute drive before the train ride made it truly multi-modal:  Car-Train-Bicycle and back.


Backpack and Bikepack - a "parachute bag" the vendor called it:


link to PEDAL VANCOUVER BC PART 2 - TRAIN RIDE

No comments:

Post a Comment