Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pedal Vancouver BC Part 5 - Greater Vancouver to Naked Beach

link to Pedal Vancouver Part 4 - Stanley Park

I had been riding for two hours and it was cold so I stopped at Starbucks to warm up, get some sustenance, and use their wifi to post some pics for the family on What'sApp.  The American cell phone doesn't work in north north America.  Then I began skirting the water's edge west toward UBC.


I was heading toward the big green to the west of the Google Earth image below.  It's labeled as an Indian Reservation.  In the city.  Interesting.



After Starbucks I passed a huge totem.


And a doggie park on the beach.


More beach.


Downtown Vancouver from the beach.


A "no cycling" sign so I walked the bike.  The other end of this short trail said "no bicycles."  Oops.


This gigantic log is as tall as my wife.  And unlike my wife it's covered with frost.



It's now after noon and there is still frost in the shade.  Lots of it and sometimes it's slippy.  In the sun it's beautiful.


I happened upon these fishermen pulling up some big crabs.  Everybody was excitedly talking in a tongue not mine.


Resetting the trap - it's at the top left of the picture.


Still cold.  And dirty.  And wet.  And the bike's got no fenders so I get cold and dirty and wet too.


Approaching the end of the peninsula there was a good sized hill I climbed.  The bike's a single speed and I chose the gear ratio well but I had to keep unzipping things to keep from sweating too much.


But it was here, in the shadow of the memories of ancestors, that I stripped down to a bare chest to cool down so my sweat wouldn't freeze me half an hour later.


I should have waited.


link to Pedal Vancouver Part 6 - China Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment