Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pedal Vancouver BC Part 6 - China Garden

link to Pedal Vancouver BC Part 5 - Greater Vancouver to Naked Beach

Following my fruitless foray to find Native Americans living on the reservation I found more paper making supplies.


And the bike kept getting dirtier.



Remember that big green space that so attracted my eye on the map?


Once I passed the U of BC Vancouver and realized that there weren't any tepees to be seen I had the long and unpleasant task of slogging my way east across the green space.  Surrounded by trees there was nothing to see and just pedaling to do.  I know I wanted to pedal Vancouver but the pedaling sucks if there's nothing to see.  Seriously nothing.  Next time I'll spend more time at Wreck Beach and retrace my pedal strokes north and east.

Adding to my frustration at a lack of vistas were these stupid overhead wires.  The trolleys or electric buses or whatever you call them are great for the environment or something but they make the city look horrible.  It reminded me of downtown Toronto - there were some beautiful buildings I couldn't capture on camera since the foreground looked this bad.


 I followed a bike path on my map north through a neighborhood or two.  More pedaling with little to see except the shadow of my bicycle on this cloudless day.


I ended up on a high level bridge with speedy traffic that I didn't expect so I had to switch to the narrow sidewalk for safety.  I had planned to visit Granville Island just under the bridge but time was short and the printed map I had didn't help me get there.  No 3G or 4G in Canadia for me so I should have downloaded some maps and a GPS app that works without data or wifi.

Views from the bridge.

northeast toward downtown

 a concrete company attracting child laborers

looking back at the bridge and the island from downtown

Now back in downtown I was finishing my circle of the peninsula and remembering the last time we were here during the winter Olympics of 2010.  It was in the 50s, they had to make fake snow, and we came downtown by commuter train to wander for a bit.  Danke, Cristian.

 Christmas trees and metal chairs in the sun

They really want to keep their city clean.  And those Canada Geese that are so good at dumping 20 kg of crap every day all over parks and paths here in Pixburgh were nowhere to be seen.  In Canada.  The place was really free of animal poo so I didn't get any tossed up on me from the tires.


The separated bicycle and pedestrian paths continued - not that the pedestrians paid much attention to the signs.  Count on walkers and runners being on the clearly marked bike path wherever you go.


That globe is the science center - Science World BC


It was 13:30 on New Year's Eve Day and it was almost free of people.  That's me and my bicycle taking revenge on the pedestrians by invading "their" path while snapping this stunning photo.


A Colosseum of sorts.


I was told to see a Canucks game but I passed.  I mean seriously - look at their "stadium."


The next destination recommended by all two of the touristy Vancouver YouTube videos I saw was the Chinese Garden.  Purportedly the only real Chinese garden outside of China it sounded interesting.


The lake was frosted over and I expected fish but maybe they're hibernating or whatever fish do.


Traffic sounds were muffled and city views were minimized by the high walls. The garden was small but a peaceful respite from the bustle of Vancouver.  I imagine the contrast to be much more pronounced on a normal day of work.




The plants and architecture I expected.  I didn't expect the use of unique ornamental rocks lining the paths.




Last stop - GasTown.  It's a piece of a modern city famous for shopping and restaurants that maintains more of an old world flavor.  Wide sidewalks and slow-moving one-way traffic with shops and restaurants lining the quiet brick streets.



I wish I had time to hit that tower in the next picture.  There's a restaurant at the top and it rotates for great views of the city and the mountains.  Next time I'm taking my wife to dinner up there on our scooter tour of downtown.  Te gusta la idea, Kristel?


link to Pedal Vancouver Part 7 - Japadog and the Train Home

No comments:

Post a Comment