Saturday, May 3, 2014

Thank You, Childhood Bullies

In seventh grade, the neighborhood ringleader who went on to graduate at the top of his class decided to make me the latest in a series of outcasts.

And so it was that for two years, the kids at the bus stop would point and giggle from across the street.  A couple of times I crossed the lane but they wouldn't say anything to my face even if three or four of them were together.



None of them were in any of my classes or even in my grade so I rarely saw them at school, but I retreated to the forest to run with the deer, prance with the squirrels, and twitter with the chickadees.  Grandpa never lived to read a single Tweet but he really loved nature and our family always took long camping vacations all over the country so I read nature and survival books and practiced my wilderness observation skills in the forests and glades near my home.

It was early in ninth grade when the new kid in town ended the animosity.  He was the only black kid in our neighborhood and one of the few in our school.  Obviously a clear-headed leader, his presence interrupted the neighborhood power structure and relieved the tension.

I never could have more than a passing conversation with any of those boys again.

I still spend a lot of time alone - even with a wife and a third child on the way.  It's good time.  I try new things.  I think a lot.  My time spent with people is better because of my time spent alone.  My teaching has improved because of my time spent reading for so many years.

So thank you, childhood bullies.  It wasn't too bad for me since I was always bigger than you and you weren't many, but your idiocy pushed me to be more independent.  And that has made a positive difference.
.
.
.
.
Disclaimer - I hated bullying then and I hate it now.  Never be the bully and always ally yourself with the bullied, no matter how much you can't stand that kid or think he might deserve it.  Nobody deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment