Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Teach Fzx Tuesday - Simplify the Algebra

I used to think algebra was essential.  But when I have the choice of requiring the official algebra techniques or focusing on physics, I'll choose the physics every time.

You may say we can get good physics and "good" math, but that just ain't true any more - especially for lower level classes.  It is for that reason that I introduce my students to the first cousins of cross-multiplication.

I interviewed a chemistry teacher and a physics teacher in the following video to bring out the algebra weaknesses our students have.  Then I presented what I call "cross-switching" and "cross-moving."


Cross-multiplication is just a name for two multiplications in one step.  Cross-switching and cross-moving hang on the same principle using multiplication and division.

I expected protests and quickly confronted some from a math teacher next door.  He expressed his discomfort with my proposed techniques from what he called a "math purist" perspective, stating that he would not teach those techniques to his math students.

He then quietly confided that he uses my approach on a regular basis in his own brain.  Other teachers have said the same.  They use easy algebra daily that they refuse to teach their students.  I have also felt constrained to use the math I "should" use but I have recently decided to abandon anything that makes the physics more difficult.

Many math teachers despise cross-multiplication, calling it a "tomfoolery," "wizardry," or a "trick."  Whatever.  I'll have my students use cross-switching and cross-moving every day - it's better for Fzx.

No comments:

Post a Comment