Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Tek Tip 2sD #2 - Screw Head Design

First was the slotted screw - nobody really uses it now for good reason.



The next improvement in design was probably the Phillips head.  It's a lot better than the slotted screw above but if you've spent any time with that little x you know it tends to strip easily and damage the bit.



Dad and I built a deck about 15 years ago and he introduced me to these square headed screws.  Amazing!  I predrilled, countersunk, and placed over 800 screws with just 2 bits and I destroyed only a couple of screw heads.  That's a drastic improvement over the phillips head.


Now for the past 5+ years I have a new favorite screw head.  These Torx heads are wonderful and the coating on the exterior screws has withstood years of weather exposure without a bit of rust.


Old bicycles use regular 8, 10, 12... mm bolts.  Now smaller motorcycle bolts and almost all bicycle bolt heads have been replaced by Allen heads that use "hex keys" or "Allen wrenches."


I carry a multitool on most of my bicycles.


Modern bicycle multi-tools now have one Torx bit for use on disc brake rotors.  I'd prefer to have all Torx bits but that's not gonna happen soon.

As alloys and coatings improve we get more and better options and all are available at your local hardware store.

Materials Science - a great field if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment