Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tek Tip 2sD - Oscillating Multi-Tool

If you weren't in class today, you missed it!

(not my belly)

There was a lot of panic today when I "accidentally" tried to cut my arm just after chopping a piece of wood.  Those oscillating multitools are great at cutting hard objects but they just grab soft skin and vibrate it back and forth.  The one pictured above is for autopsies and heart surgery.
Here's an advertisement for mine.


It's a great tool for a specific purpose.  I use it to make plunge cuts in difficult to access areas or where hand tools are just too slow.

I vividly remember when my doctor cut off my casts.  I thought he was going to chop off my arm as well and I was surprised when that skinny bony arm emerged unscathed.  That tool that the doctor used was just like my Harbor Freight special.

The next time you see that Y-cut for an autopsy or think about your uncle who just had open-heart surgery - this is the kind of tool he used - bad at cutting flesh, good at cutting bone.

This guy shows the tool NOT cutting his finger at :50.



No comments:

Post a Comment