Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Teach Fzx Tuesday - Waste Paper

We often tell our children conflicting stories.

          "Clean your plate for the starving people in North Korea."
          "But Dad, why don't you send some of your food to those kids?  You're too fat anyway."

Food discussions, however, only affect learning if the kid's starving so here's another:

          "Save the trees" by conserving paper.
          "Show all your work" in your algebra problem.

That one has definitely caused me grief



and definitely not "good grief."  Some of my students, being concerned about the environment in a silly way, write as small as they can and squeeze everything into the tiniest space imaginable.

I'm all for conservation but using a few extra sheets of paper each month is NOT going to negatively impact the environment but it WILL tend to help students do better in physics.

One of my former students used a new sheet of paper for every problem we solved.  He sketched bigly, wrote bigly, and spread it all out.  When I asked why, he responded

"My Dad told me to waste paper when it comes to my education."

When my students cram everything into tiny spaces, they tend not to see or solve well.  Wanna Lrn good?  Get ready to waste some paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment