Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Tek Tip 2sD #5 - Eyes and Ears

I often work with a bench grinder and an angle grinder so sparky metal flies everywhere.  The wire wheel on that angle grinder drops little pieces of wire that fly off at a tangent and draw blood on a regular basis.

Sometimes that little piece of steel ends up on my eye.  It's happened twice since I didn't learn the first time that I'm supposed to wear eye protection.


In the sun or on a bicycle I sometimes wear these.



And if it's raining sparks I'll go for this one.  Usually when making my favorite meal.



Did you ever forget to drop your helmet before you started the welding arc?  UV rays burn your eyes and it feels like you got a bucket of sand in the eye.


That's an auto-darkening helmet.  Adjustable to your liking and it darkens when the arc begins.  When I'm brazing with my oxy-mapp torch I'll use one of these.


I remember leaving my first metal concert in 1988.  I couldn't hear and we all had to shout at each other.  That was dumb so I started wearing ear protection.  First were the foam plugs.


Those plastic ones with the string are for the motorcycle.  Anything over 40 mph or more than 30 minutes and I can feel the damage beginning.  At the range I use these.


They're electronic.  Speakers inside that don't transmit any harmful sounds.  Great for hunting and the range where you want to hear but need protection.  I shot a pistol before I put them on once and it was bad.  There's the switch and volume button.


My Dad has some hearing loss from earlier in life when nobody wore ear pro.  I want to minimize that possibility.

So protect your eyes and ears.  You want them working well when you're old.




2 comments:

  1. A safety article and no mention of the Safety Scarf? I would never dream of tackling the most dangerous tasks without my Safety Scarf.

    Really though, they teach the whole PPE thing all wrong in two important ways:

    1. Goggles, gloves, shoes, aprons, masks, etc. will dramatically HELP you work more efficiently. The right respirator allows you to work in an environment that would otherwise be impossible to work in. Well fitting work gloves allow for better grip while maintaining dexterity. Proper face shields and/or goggles allow you close up and clear visions of your work that nobody would attempt without them. And just try working in a commercial kitchen without slip resistant shoes. The bottom line is that the right equipment (including outerwear and knee pads and more) allows you to do a superior job more comfortably. Instead though, shop classes and factories alike hand out lawyer-mandated goggles that are ugly, clunky, and provide improper protection. Shop classes insist on bulky leather gloves that are, again, inappropriate. So kids take them off because 1) they look ridiculous, and 2) they're often too bulky to be protective. Instead they are a nuisance. In the end kids resent the safety equipment instead of appreciating how it can help

    2. It is always stressed that equipment be worn 100% of the time. Sorry, you don't need goggles to glue together a bird house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent addition. Sometimes I walk past the chem lab and they're wearing their goggles for a measurement lab. Silly.

    And that safety scarf? Once I didn't tuck it in properly and almost got my face sucked into a machine. Made of thick, fire resistant lamb it clogged the machine before my face got there. Safety scarf indeed.

    ReplyDelete