Monday, February 17, 2014

First Frame - A Homebuilt Recumbent

Almost two decades ago I went to what has become my favorite bike shop and happened upon a recumbent bicycle for the first time.  I loved the idea and wanted one but the budget was quite small so I figured I would make one since I heard people did that kind of thing.

A couple of huffymurraypacifics later I came up with this.  The front end was a BMX headtube-to-bottombracket assembly - since I couldn't weld, a muffler clamp and a couple of screws held it together.

Aluminum backpack frame and plywood seat.


Muffler clamp and front steering linkage

under seat steering.
The only thing I bought was the handlebar.


It was fun to ride and it worked out well for a summer project and a test of my limited fabrication skills.  My budget has expanded and I have learned to braze and weld but I still look back to this bike with fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment