Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hawk in the Snow

In the middle of a big empty field I came upon this isolated track.


If you ignore my tracks at the left you see what seems to be a hawk after a mouse.  Close up you can see wing prints and deep grab marks in the middle along with the bounding relaunch marks.

I've never seen a raptor take a rodent in a field.  Nor have I seen a raccoon hunting at the edge of a creek.  Or a shrew tunneling under the snow.

But I have seen their tracks.  And the study of those marks as a child opened up a new world to me.  I would wander the woods after a fresh snow following deer and rabbits and watching squirrels find their buried nuts.  I even followed a fox wandering the edge of a field.  All that just by watching for their signs.

On one of my many book shelves I have A Guide to Nature in Winter, Animal Tracking, A Field Guide to Your Own Backyard, and a dozen similar titles that I've had for almost 30 years.  It's because of those books that I know what to look for.  And my parents provided opportunities - they took us camping for a few weeks every summer and they bought a good piece of land where I could walk out the door, track animals, catch snakes, and build stuff in the woods.

A few years ago I visited my aunt and uncle who lived in northern Wisconsin.  On an early morning kayak ride I was blessed to see a bald eagle swoop down and snag a fish from the lake.  Majestic

No comments:

Post a Comment