Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Steam Bending Wood

I wanted to build a recumbent bicycle seat and I wanted to work with wood.  Having heard about steam bending and seen some of the results, I found some seat plans called for two thin pieces of laminate soaked in hot water and glued while drying on a form.  It wasn't steam bending but it was close.

Scrap plywood form and crossmembers


Using a couple pieces of the skinniest good quality 3 layer laminate available, I tried soaking them with hot water in the tub.  It took turning up the temp in the hot water tank and boiling gallons of water on the stove to realize how dumb that idea was - with no heat source in the tub and the surface kicking off heat like an obstinate mule, I couldn't keep the water hot.  Plus I almost got scalded in the shower.

Next was this huge pan to soak the wood in hot water on the stove.

Properly bent roof flashing doesn't leak.
Cute paper bag for scale.


A couple of hours later with the pan across two burners and a brick to sink the wood, I slathered both halves with wood glue, clamped it all to the form and let it sit for a couple of days.

Speed.  Force.  And plenty of both.  Speed to keep the wood flexible during clamping.  Force to wrap the stubborn wood around the form.


curves, beautiful curves


exterior laminate separation


 There was a gap in the wood that I reinforced with steel since that part was quite flexible.

Tiny gap - Big failure point


The gap happened at the tightest bend in the form. The rest of it turned out OK.  Were I to do it again, the curves in the form would have to be softened and I would put a cover on the pan during heating to make sure it got hot enough and the water soaked in well.

I'm pretty sure I ended up spending far more time and money on this failure than had I just bought a seat made by a pro.  I just buy stuff now that I have less time.  The process engaged my brain, however, and it kept me from feeling lost for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment