Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pedal Vancouver BC Part 7 - Japadog and the Train Home

link to Pedal Vancouver BC part 6 - China Garden

The time was 14:20.  I hadn't eaten lunch and I wanted to make the 3 pm train but I still had to disassemble the bike and drop it in the bag.  Just outside the train station was a Japadog so I ordered some kind of wurst with ingredients my palate didn't recognize.  It was yummy.  I also finally remembered to drink some water.



Me and my travel buddy hopped the train and we took up residence on a quattro of seats.


There were plenty of good views from the top level of the train again and still not many people on this New Years Eve Day.





It was a sunrise to sunset trip.  Seeing the sun drop below the horizon was a satisfying end to the day.






It was a great day of adventure.  For those of you not in the know, NO.  I did not have to break down my bicycle to get on the train.  Many commuter trains like this one have provisions for bicycles and not just folding commuter bicycles.  As I got off in Vancouver with my bike in a bag another man wheeled his full-size bike off the train.  I wasn't jealous, it was a proof of concept ride for me.

All in all it was a wonderful day.  I added another city to my list and the bike worked well.  There were some creaks and cracks from my choice of used wheels for the project but the gear was a perfect ride-all-day ratio, the handlebar was a great angle, and the Ergon grips provided a hand platform so my wrists never bothered me.  Time to strip it for paint.

If you ever get a chance to tour a city, walking is best but it's slow.  Rollerblades are an option but you have to take them off to walk.  A kick scooter is quick, it folds, and it's small but you can't go as far as you can on a bike.

I prefer the bicycle and with the explosion of CityBike rentals around the world, you can walk a bit, rent a bike for half an hour, and keep on switching from pedal to pedestrian all day.

Thanks, family, for the adventure time.  Soon ynz'll be big enough that we can tour together.


The rest of the vacation was wonderful too.  Here are some of those pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment